Author Topic: Dry running a panther jet.  (Read 701 times)

Offline Redneck

• Port Noarlunga South Australia
  • VJB#1 Make: Marlin
Dry running a panther jet.
« on: July 19, 2011, 01:53:03 AM »
Ok, I figure its not ideal, but if there is ample clean oil in the gearbox and the impeller bearing is packed with grease its ok to idle for few minutes???

Could I take the impeller off so I could rev the crap out of  the engine???

Also should I stick the garden hose( to cool the engine) into the small hose on the jet or try to tap in on the engine side of the pump? I figure that hose and pipe just go straight through the pump housing anyway?

Yep I am green on all this!! Wish me luck!

Offline 78_Tahiti

• Global Moderator
  • Jet boat exerciser
    • NorCal
  • VJB#1 Make: Tahiti
Re: Dry running a panther jet.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 03:13:36 AM »
as long as the pump is in good working order, You'll be ok Idling or low revs with a panther out of the water. I don't recomend it for very long, or very often, as water is the only lubricant between the impeller and pump housing! On the garden hose part. With Panthers, there is usually a garden hose connector on the engine side of the pump. Disconnect it, then connect to garden hose. Do you have Over transom exhaust? or Thru-Transom exhaust? (logs & risers) If you have OT's you would start the engine first, then turn on the water. With logs you can turn the water on first. But BEWARE! The "WATER PRESSURE at YOUR HOUSE" can have "UP TO 60 PSI of PRESSURE or MORE" So just turn it on a LITTLE!
If It Floats, F@cks, or Flies, Its Cheaper to RENT IT!

Offline jetboatperformance

• Marine Dealer, Jet Boat Parts, Service & Jet Tech
    • 6937 Sycamore #B Atascadero Ca 93422
    • jetboatperformance.com
Re: Dry running a panther jet.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 08:17:49 AM »
Although we don't advocate running any of the jet drives out of the lake (without drive line disengagement ) , however sometimes its complelety unavoidable for whatever reason , assuming the wear ring or "wear" surfaces to impeller clearances are sufficiant (good pump health) one of the big risks is still present to the packings and /or mechanical seals (which depend on submerision and seepage water to cool and lubricate them) The other greater risk is unseen towing/road grime (grit sand etc that can become trapped between wear ring and Impeller causing abraison and galling  Tom

Not gonna say I would never do it just don't recommend it under most circumstances

JET BOAT PERFORMANCE, Best Prices, Best Tech , and Unmatched Customer Service www.jetboatperformance.com www.jetboatperformance.biz  NEW PAGES & FEATURES 805 466 4719

Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum
http://www.vintagejetboats.com