Author Topic: Pulling BBC from Panther drive  (Read 678 times)

Offline Redneck

• Port Noarlunga South Australia
  • VJB#1 Make: Marlin
Pulling BBC from Panther drive
« on: July 16, 2011, 05:58:02 PM »
Does the engine and bellhousing come away as one with the drive shaft coupler  just sliding off the splined input shaft?
 This engine is stuck (sadly!) so I cant turn it to undo the coupler.

Offline roblock

• Eureka Ca
  • VJB#1 Make: Rowdy Manufacturing
Re: Pulling BBC from Panther drive
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 06:27:12 PM »
It should... I assume you have the two allen head bolts out (just behind the bell housing) that secure the bell housing to the jet housing?

Offline roblock

• Eureka Ca
  • VJB#1 Make: Rowdy Manufacturing
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 06:31:46 PM »
To clarify, the bolts hold the bell housing to the bullet cover which protects the front of the shaft, bearing cap, and seal. And there is a section underneath that the bolts thread into. It acts as a clamp to hold the bell housing to the jet. According to the manual, the Chevy engages the splines more than any other engine combination (a good thing for eliminating spline slap at idle), so if any of them would be stuck, the Chevy would be the one. Keep working on it. If the mounts are out, and you have room to move it forward 1.93" you should be able to get it  :)

Offline H20MOFO

• NUTTZ
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 06:52:54 PM »
Does the engine and bellhousing come away as one with the drive shaft coupler  just sliding off the splined input shaft?
 This engine is stuck (sadly!) so I cant turn it to undo the coupler.
Are you trying to pull the motor off the pump?...or the pump off the motor??

Offline Redneck

• Port Noarlunga South Australia
  • VJB#1 Make: Marlin
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 01:46:52 AM »
I perservered with some spray lube and got it to turn on the starter, so it can stay put till I run it and get an idea of the condition.(any  knocks bangs and rattles)

It will get lots more wd 40 etc and turned over a few times by hand each day until the rust has had a bit of a chance to dissolve.

Just drained all the orange cordial (koolaid?) out of the tank. That fuel was well and truly out of date!

Offline 78_Tahiti

• Global Moderator
  • Jet boat exerciser
    • NorCal
  • VJB#1 Make: Tahiti
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 03:18:37 AM »
Im not sure if its available "Down Under" but an excellent product to put in the Cylinders, and even in the tanks, is "Marvel Mystery Oil" it will protect raw metal surfaces from rusting, is an excellent anti-scuffing lubricant, and will displace moisture much better then WD-40! it will also help disolve any rust! Also very handy for rusted nuts and bolts.
If It Floats, F@cks, or Flies, Its Cheaper to RENT IT!

Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum
http://www.vintagejetboats.com