Author Topic: Help with a vjb  (Read 1951 times)

Offline wolfie

• NUTTZ
    • Draper, UT 35 minutes from Utah Lake
  • VJB#1 Make: Eliminator
  • VJB#2 Make: Sundance
  • Other Boat#1 Make: Naples Sabot
Re: Help with a vjb
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 05:05:48 PM »
Wolfie that picture was taken at Willard Bay.
That's a great picture!

Offline jet_the_boat

• Ozark, Missouri
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 05:34:34 PM »
I'm looking for a boat thats at the most reliable, i want the over transom headers etc. I like this boat because it's 21ft and it's of the better looking of the few I have found within distance I want to travel. Most i'd ever look to get out of the boat is 65mph, just looking for something fun for my friends and I to take out on the weekends and have a good time, and like I said something solid and reliable.

Offline wolfie

• NUTTZ
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 07:51:43 PM »
I'd check it out then. If it's solid and will do what you want, then there you go. O/T headers are very plentiful used if you're looking at a tight budget.
The main key is if it's solid. If there's no delam, and the stringers and transom look good, and the interior is clean enough to live with, and the price is right, it could be a good boat for you.
65 isn't out of the realm of most boats like that. You may have to put some money into the engine depending on how stock it is.
"Save the Endangered Tree Octopus! It's as real a threat to our planet as global warming!" http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/

Offline "THE ADVOCATE"

• Global Moderator
  • LANCHA ESTUPIDA
    • Salt Lake City
  • VJB#1 Make: Sleek Craft
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2011, 08:06:21 PM »
   Once again, looks like a pretty boat! I kept my TT headers(through transom) because of my kids and friends climbing in and out of the boat. And dont hold yourself back in the future, you might want to go FASTER!!!
I'm not a slow learner, I'm just not easily convinced.

Offline wolfie

• NUTTZ
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2011, 08:11:00 PM »
I just looked at the picture again. It looks like it has a nice set of twisties on it already.
"Save the Endangered Tree Octopus! It's as real a threat to our planet as global warming!" http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/

Offline jet_the_boat

• Ozark, Missouri
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2011, 08:30:44 PM »
I have a good feeling I can pick it up for around $3000. Clear titles to the boat and trailer turn key ready to go. When you say look for delam I don't know what that is?

Other than the transom and hull any other key points to look at? Other than obvious cracks and patch spots/bodywork, soft floor etc anything else that's an ultimate no go?

Also what to look for if there stress cracks?

Offline "THE ADVOCATE"

• Global Moderator
  • LANCHA ESTUPIDA
    • Salt Lake City
  • VJB#1 Make: Sleek Craft
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2011, 08:37:46 PM »
Your last post described delam perfectly!!!!!
I'm not a slow learner, I'm just not easily convinced.

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • Fair Oaks, CA
    • FaceBook
  • VJB#1 Make: Galaxie
  • VJB#2 Make: PMS (Pacific Marine Service)
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2011, 08:42:17 PM »
When you say look for delam I don't know what that is?

Also what to look for if there stress cracks?
De-lamination is when a layer of fiberglass is separating from the surface it's attached to.
Stress cracks are cracks in the gelcoat.
Keep your Hot Boat wet @ VintageJetBoats.com | VintageJetBoat.com | VJBForum.com | VJB4um.com | VintageHotBoat.com

Offline wolfie

• NUTTZ
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2011, 08:49:29 PM »
There will always be some sort of a stress crack. Anytime you have any torsional movement of the boat, it'll cause some sort of stress cracking. Hitting waves, ect. Deep stress cracks and cracks in the hull will cause you the most problems.

Offline Sleek Freak

• NUTTZ
    • Hooper Utah
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2011, 09:10:03 PM »
when buying a turn key boat always inspect it and it don't hurt to bring a friend with knowledge to see things you may over look.
 then have the seller take you out and run the boat ( even if you have to pay a little gas money).  if the seller knows you have the money and still wont take you out walk away from the deal.         just my 2 cents.

Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum
http://www.vintagejetboats.com