Author Topic: Fuel smell  (Read 672 times)

Offline sierrasunsets27

• Sierra Nevada's, California
Fuel smell
« on: June 17, 2011, 11:11:06 AM »
Hi Guys & Dolls,
Ok, Everytime I fuel my tanks I find a fuel smell.  I even backed off as with the heat they need room to expand.  No leaks that I can find.  Checked all lines etc.  Any ideas.

Thanks in advance from the newbie,
Ss

Offline H20MOFO

• NUTTZ
Re: Fuel smell
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 11:17:26 AM »
You could try a match :bs: JK  Are your tanks fiberglass or stainless/aluminum?

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • Fair Oaks, CA
    • FaceBook
  • VJB#1 Make: Galaxie
  • VJB#2 Make: PMS (Pacific Marine Service)
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 11:23:12 AM »
Do you have vents on the sides of your hull? May just be vapor from the vents? And only noticeable right after filling?
Keep your Hot Boat wet @ VintageJetBoats.com | VintageJetBoat.com | VJBForum.com | VJB4um.com | VintageHotBoat.com

Offline sierrasunsets27

• Sierra Nevada's, California
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 11:35:48 AM »
The match idea was close.....LOL :biggrin:  I found it.  I have a seal that needs to be replaced.  It is at the top of the tank.  It was quite the comedy scene.  I was on the phone with the mechanic crawling around the engine, following lines and feeling up my fuel tanks....LOL  I ended up finding it.  In the process discovered a few loose bolts etc.  Thank you all for your help!

Offline 78_Tahiti

• Global Moderator
  • Jet boat exerciser
    • NorCal
  • VJB#1 Make: Tahiti
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 05:03:17 PM »
It was a pleasure! hehe! Glad you found it with the alternative method! That match trick never works as expected!  :redface:
If It Floats, F@cks, or Flies, Its Cheaper to RENT IT!

Offline wolfie

• NUTTZ
    • Draper, UT 35 minutes from Utah Lake
  • VJB#1 Make: Eliminator
  • VJB#2 Make: Sundance
  • Other Boat#1 Make: Naples Sabot
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 05:18:59 PM »
I get a gaseous smell around my boat as well...Then I found out it was usually when my son had been eating burritos at Gualberto's.
"Save the Endangered Tree Octopus! It's as real a threat to our planet as global warming!" http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/

Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum
http://www.vintagejetboats.com