Author Topic: Help with a vjb  (Read 1952 times)

Offline jet_the_boat

• Ozark, Missouri
Help with a vjb
« on: June 20, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
I'm looking into buying a jet boat. The boat is a 1982 Mariner 21ft with a 402 BBC and berkley pump. I havent found much about Mariner Jet Boats any information is appreciated. Also any specifics to look for/at when I go look at the boat.

Offline justsquirtin

• rio linda ca
  • VJB#1 Make: southwind
  • VJB#2 Make: tunnel dragster
  • VJB#3 Make: daytona
  • Other Boat#1 Make: tunnel
Re: Help with a vjb
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 05:14:43 PM »
donot know about this make-but things to look at-stringer condition=full stringer or 1/4 =full stringer will be stronger-but 1/4 will work also-i have both  and they work find=bottom of coarse=no patch spots-floor condition if it has it-soft spots and such-if carpeted-push down on all spots if it cannot be pulled up-try to stay away from 455 olds-i have nothing against them -they seem to have alot of oiling problems if the blocks have not had the oil modification done to them-i run both chevy and ford and =depends on what your intentions are for boat use-family/go fast/all around=

i would stay away from the tropical boats=hawaiians/beachcombers/and such=just my 02 cents=sanger/southwind/ rogers/eliminator/bahner/just to name a few are good boats=alot of boats have been splashed off of said mentioned boats=do alot of research after you decide what your  intentions are for the boat and go from there=please nobody take offense =this is just my opinion =we all have one-you can also give tom from jet boat performance a call and he can answer any question you might have about any boat=

Offline jet_the_boat

• Ozark, Missouri
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 05:30:06 PM »
A few pictures of the boat. I'm starting to think it's not a mariner the guy just has a mariner title which doesnt actually belong to this boat, probably not his fault just see that being a possibility as i've heard it happen before with old boats of all sorts.

Offline justsquirtin

• rio linda ca
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 05:31:53 PM »
our good friend on here =78 tahiti runs a tahiti day cruiser and is a great boat-he has alot of boat knowledge too-do your research

Offline justsquirtin

• rio linda ca
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 05:35:46 PM »
that is a nice lookin boat=have never seen one with dual windshields before=ah its great to see different boats=you can research the vin number on the back right side in the upper corner -through the coast guard=post up the partial #s with the first letters and maybe we can identify-sweet lookin boat

Offline jet_the_boat

• Ozark, Missouri
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 05:44:59 PM »
Waiting to hear back from the guy to try to obtain an HIN and hopefully some numbers off the pump. I also already have a Nordic hull that was pushed with a 460 long story short machine shop screwed up on the heads and of coarse the motor blew up. The hull is complete with interior, lavorsi gauges etc, floor needs replaced but really just needs a motor. The boats been in the family since I can remmber and it's a cherry viturally flawless, So I was originally planning to either buy a long block or do something myself as far as building a 460 for the boat. Im sure there's a better section for 460/motor questions im new to the site and havent found quite everything yet. What stopped me from that build was I came across this boat looking for parts thought it was good looking and not too bad for the price.

Offline wolfie

• NUTTZ
    • Draper, UT 35 minutes from Utah Lake
  • VJB#1 Make: Eliminator
  • VJB#2 Make: Sundance
  • Other Boat#1 Make: Naples Sabot
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 06:29:52 PM »
Is there a HIN on the transom?  The 402 is an easy swap to a 454 in you want more HP so that's a plus.
X2 on the stringers. Check the inside on the transom as well for delam as well.
"Save the Endangered Tree Octopus! It's as real a threat to our planet as global warming!" http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/

Offline H20MOFO

• NUTTZ
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 07:09:16 PM »
Nice boat.....I was about to say it was a sleekcraft till I looked a little closer.  The deck looks sleekcraft from the front.

Offline jetboatperformance

• Marine Dealer, Jet Boat Parts, Service & Jet Tech
    • 6937 Sycamore #B Atascadero Ca 93422
    • jetboatperformance.com
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 07:28:20 PM »
Welcome to VJB , Nice  and unique boat, dig the little observer seat in the center , Nice lines and Like Kreg I think it resembles a Sleek craft But I confess I have never seen a hull completley like it , The Jet Looks to be a Dominator 12S (good Jet) ! Tom
JET BOAT PERFORMANCE, Best Prices, Best Tech , and Unmatched Customer Service www.jetboatperformance.com www.jetboatperformance.biz  NEW PAGES & FEATURES 805 466 4719

Offline "THE ADVOCATE"

• Global Moderator
  • LANCHA ESTUPIDA
    • Salt Lake City
  • VJB#1 Make: Sleek Craft
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 07:49:32 PM »
If its a Sleek its got an SLE header on the hin. On an '82 it might be different though because of legal problems with AMF. Bowling bowls and jet boats, who would have thunk? If its a slick craft dont buy it, but she sure is pretty!
I'm not a slow learner, I'm just not easily convinced.

Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum
http://www.vintagejetboats.com