Author Topic: Two bilge pumps?  (Read 581 times)

Offline Oldmxdog61u

• 79 Tahiti Super Cruiser
    • Rainbow Valley, Arizona
Two bilge pumps?
« on: August 30, 2010, 01:36:14 PM »
Thinking about installing a second back up automatic bilge pump on my 79 Tahiti 21ft super cruiser. With only one feed thru now (on driver side just below the cap/trim) I am thinking I will need to add a second penetration (next to??) otherwsie the volume wont really take advantage of the second pump. any one else already do this? Better? Worse?
1400 GPM sounds alot better than 700 when you lose a hose or something. Especially when I see the hole diameter of the bilge discharge. Sheesh. Its maybe a 1/2".
I think about these things when there is 150+ under the keel.

Offline Oldmxdog61u

Re: Two bilge pumps?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 01:44:36 PM »
to be more exact- I think about this stuff on the lake and there is 150ft + under the transom and the wind is blowing and the barges are putting wakes I could surf on, and the boat quits (ahh, switch to the second gas tank) and I start taking slappers over the side and its a looooonnnnggg way to shore.

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • Fair Oaks, CA
    • FaceBook
  • VJB#1 Make: Galaxie
  • VJB#2 Make: PMS (Pacific Marine Service)
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 04:44:50 PM »
I have a single 500 on my 19" and I swear I got hit by a tsunami when I was at the delta (never again) and it did just fine emptying the boat. But, can't hurt to have a second one that's for sure!!!
Keep your Hot Boat wet @ VintageJetBoats.com | VintageJetBoat.com | VJBForum.com | VJB4um.com | VintageHotBoat.com

Offline 76Nordic

• Brea,CA The OC
  • VJB#1 Make: 76 Nordic
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 05:51:24 PM »
IMHO I think a second automatic bilge would be ideal for your size cruiser. And definately a second outlet!!!!   My nordic had 2 bilges in it when I bought it, one was missing but did have the 2 outlets. I had the one hole filled in when I had the boat painted, and just use the one bilge. I didn't feel a second one was needed for my small boat, cause if my dumbass was out in some nasty crap, it wouldn't matter if I had 10 bilges, my dumbass shouldn't have been out there to begin with!!!    LOL

Offline thompy

• Menominee, the UP
  • VJB#1 Make: 74 CobraJet
  • VJB#2 Make: Avantage
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 07:19:55 PM »
i run a 500 auto and have an 1100 manual with seperate dumps

Offline Oldmxdog61u

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 01:36:10 PM »
Thanks for the ideas. I plan on adding a second manually operated (switch) next to my existing auto/manual pump. That would give me about 1500 GPM total. I will have to put a second thru hole next to my existing port (I will buy two thru ports so they match), plus upon closer examination the hose is undersized on  my existing pump which will be up sized to the correct size giving me closer to the rated discharge than my current set up (3/4 necked down to 5/8 I suspect, and then the thru port looks like 1/2.  Mickey D worked on it I guess. SHeez!)

Why- Getting across the lake when the wind picks up aint bad on its own, but it could go bad if for some reason the boat stalled and barges start putting up extra waves.  Just dont want to be there when a second bilge would give me that extra security for those situations that can happen God forbid (heck, whats all that paddles, vests, bucket, whistles, first aid, tools, radio, etc etc crammed in the bow for? For when my little plans go to sh$t (as my dad would have said).

Plus, you ever take on any water and think- "whew, glad I have a bilge pump".  WHat if it failed. Is your day ruined? DOes the extra $50 really give you a back up plan?

Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum
http://www.vintagejetboats.com