Author Topic: Looking for some opinions...Wriedt  (Read 5603 times)

Offline wolfie

• NUTTZ
    • Draper, UT 35 minutes from Utah Lake
  • VJB#1 Make: Eliminator
  • VJB#2 Make: Sundance
  • Other Boat#1 Make: Naples Sabot
Re: Looking for some opinions...Wriedt
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2012, 05:43:21 PM »
No biggie to replace the transom? Sounds like lots of work to me...  :4_12_2:

I would stay way far away from a hull that needs the transom replaced!!!  :41616-4:

Unless it was like a SWTD and it would still need to be at a great price!!!  :werd:

Just my opinion though...   :zz2cents:

Yea your right "no biggie" was probably the wrong phrase. What I meant was it's not something that would kill the deal if I could get it at a good price.

Trying to learn all the acronyms, what does SWTD stand for?

Southwind Tunnel Dragster. One of the best boats on the water, but then again, I am a little bias towards them (wish I had one).

There are so many better deals. I had a deal lined up on a nice Kona that needed an interior and a little engine work and they wanted $900. The floor and stringers were in good condition. There's a few boats around like it. I got a killer deal on a nice one owner Sundance for a great price. It's in great condition less engine and gauges. The kids Sleek Craft and trailer were purchased from a couple really good friends for a lot less.

Offline Sleek Freak

• NUTTZ
    • Hooper Utah
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2012, 06:15:28 PM »
Big don't sweat the hours on a jet motor so much. the care and the way the boat was used are way more important to me.
I've see guys use a motor for years trouble free and others can go thru  3 motors in a season. just my 2 cents

Offline "THE ADVOCATE"

• Global Moderator
  • LANCHA ESTUPIDA
    • Salt Lake City
  • VJB#1 Make: Sleek Craft
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2012, 06:24:56 PM »
Single axle trailer is worth a couple hundred if the axles and bearings are in good shape and if the tires can make it 4hrs. If the pump is in good shape it can be worth some money, and a core charge for a 460 is about $400. I would offer $500 and stop at $800. Just my opinion, if your tickle bone likes that hull and you got to have it follow your heart..... $1500 is too much though, keep shopping.
I'm not a slow learner, I'm just not easily convinced.

Offline roblock

• Eureka Ca
  • VJB#1 Make: Rowdy Manufacturing
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2012, 06:40:25 PM »
Single axle trailer is worth a couple hundred if the axles and bearings are in good shape and if the tires can make it 4hrs. If the pump is in good shape it can be worth some money, and a core charge for a 460 is about $400. I would offer $500 and stop at $800. Just my opinion, if your tickle bone likes that hull and you got to have it follow your heart..... $1500 is too much though, keep shopping.

Listen to the Advocate...

Good looking hull for sue, but I have had personal experience with wood rot, and I wasn't even expecting any. it was bone dry and well stored. The pics you have show a boat very exposed to the elements.

Be very afraid unless you want to do ALOT of work and the price is right.

Offline 78_Tahiti

• Global Moderator
  • Jet boat exerciser
    • NorCal
  • VJB#1 Make: Tahiti
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 10:06:03 AM »
Great Advice Everyone!  :like:  Take a little time. Hull integrity is Extremely Important when choosing a project! Fiberglass tends to reshape itself once its support structure has been compromised. Many times requiring a lot more work then you might expect. A transom on a Jet Boat that needs replacing, many times has the bottom of the hull sagging or twisted in the rear as well, from the lack of structural support. The boat would need to be flipped over to repair that. Most of the time new buyers won't be aware of things like that. It adversly affects how the boat rides in the water, hook will cause the boat to ride very wet (bow forced down) it can make the boat pretty scary on shutdown (wants to turn sharply when you get off the gas) as well, it can made the ride less then enjoyable.
If It Floats, F@cks, or Flies, Its Cheaper to RENT IT!

Offline tinbender71

• Maud, Tx
  • VJB#1 Make: Wriedt
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2012, 11:41:51 AM »
I have the same boat with a 455 olds, I love it! Rides good, mine will run about 60mph. Good solid boat. I did have to replace the floor and the transom wood, but I enjoy doing things like that!

Offline fkaracing

• NUTTZ
  • I'm on a Boat Mother F'er & the engine makes Noise
    • Herriman, UT, 20 minutes to be on Utah Lake
  • VJB#1 Make: Fibercel
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2012, 01:32:14 PM »
Hey Jason...look on the wall in the picture of the Green boat  :4_12_2: Yep that is a Hood hanging on the wall, not chopped up into little pieces and tossed in the Trash  :4_1_72: Sorry buddy had to throw that jab in  :cheers:

Good Looking Ride!

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • Fair Oaks, CA
    • FaceBook
  • VJB#1 Make: Galaxie
  • VJB#2 Make: PMS (Pacific Marine Service)
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2012, 02:16:28 PM »
Oh good eye Rory!!!
Keep your Hot Boat wet @ VintageJetBoats.com | VintageJetBoat.com | VJBForum.com | VJB4um.com | VintageHotBoat.com

Offline bigvincent

• South Jersey
  • VJB#1 Make: looking
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2012, 03:04:56 PM »
Thank you everyone for all the advice! My biggest concern is it doesn't appear (in the pictures) the boat was well cared for and just left open to the elements. I asked for more pictures so once i get them i will surely post. Just like "the Advocate" suggested my limit will be $800 my limit, but i started my search again because it doesn't seem like this guy will play ball. 

Offline roblock

• Eureka Ca
  • VJB#1 Make: Rowdy Manufacturing
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2012, 04:47:36 PM »
Like tinbender said, it can be fun, just alot of work and stress. More than I was expecting for my first boat, and I had alot of things to learn. but if you ask lots of questions around here, the guys will help you out. Just be careful. If I hadn't bought mine from a friend for a good price with a running motor I would be in deep water...

Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum
http://www.vintagejetboats.com