Author Topic: Looking for some opinions...Wriedt  (Read 5600 times)

Offline bigvincent

• South Jersey
  • VJB#1 Make: looking
Looking for some opinions...Wriedt
« on: January 29, 2012, 08:52:59 AM »
Looking to buy a '75 Wriedt Stinger project with a 460 BBF, from the picture it looks like a Berkeley 12jf. Just from the pictures what is your opinion? Yes they are terrible pictures, trying to get more. Anyone have experience with the wriedts, I can't seem to find much info. Also, is the 12jf a good pump?

Thanks!

Offline wolfie

• NUTTZ
    • Draper, UT 35 minutes from Utah Lake
  • VJB#1 Make: Eliminator
  • VJB#2 Make: Sundance
  • Other Boat#1 Make: Naples Sabot
Re: Looking for some opinions...Wriedt
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 09:55:31 AM »
Here's the disclaimer first, these are my opinions and there will be someone on here that knows a heck of a lot more than I do soon.

Wriedt's were good hulls. That hull is a shallower V than one I was looking at, which is a good thing. It actually looks like a 12JC which is better than a 12JF/JE, not that the JF/JE's are bad, just limited. How are the stringers? Floor? Interior?

The big question is how much are they asking for it and is it worth it to you?
"Save the Endangered Tree Octopus! It's as real a threat to our planet as global warming!" http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/

Offline "THE ADVOCATE"

• Global Moderator
  • LANCHA ESTUPIDA
    • Salt Lake City
  • VJB#1 Make: Sleek Craft
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 10:07:50 AM »
It looks like a good project to me! I like the line of the hull, looks fast. Big Block Ford is a plus as well! If the price is right go for it. Try not to overpay for the project, resto will cost plenty!  :zz22_yikes: But it is a labor of love and worth every penny. Welcome to the site, let us know what happens.  :hi:
I'm not a slow learner, I'm just not easily convinced.

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • Fair Oaks, CA
    • FaceBook
  • VJB#1 Make: Galaxie
  • VJB#2 Make: PMS (Pacific Marine Service)
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 10:24:14 AM »
Hey Vincent welcome to VJB!!!

Looks like the boys from Utah have given you some great advice already!!!
I'm a little surprised that wolfie did not point out "DO NOT THROW THE ENGINE COVER IN THE DUMPSTER" though...  :4_12_2:   :4_1_72:
Keep your Hot Boat wet @ VintageJetBoats.com | VintageJetBoat.com | VJBForum.com | VJB4um.com | VintageHotBoat.com

Offline Sleek Freak

• NUTTZ
    • Hooper Utah
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 10:29:02 AM »
 :hi:  me likey..  like wolfie said it don't look like a jf pump. the blue oval motor will work until you can get a BBC.   :nana:
Wriedt built a good hull. that boat would look 10 times better sitting down on a double axle trailer (IMO)
you can tell if a boat is a good one by the memories it makes.  :cheers:

Offline Sleek Freak

• NUTTZ
    • Hooper Utah
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 10:32:03 AM »

:4_1_72:
save the hood...   for hell sakes don't throw it in a dumpster.   some peeps on here don't take kindly to that. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline wolfie

• NUTTZ
    • Draper, UT 35 minutes from Utah Lake
  • VJB#1 Make: Eliminator
  • VJB#2 Make: Sundance
  • Other Boat#1 Make: Naples Sabot
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 10:58:09 AM »
Hey Vincent welcome to VJB!!!

Looks like the boys from Utah have given you some great advice already!!!
I'm a little surprised that wolfie did not point out "DO NOT THROW THE ENGINE COVER IN THE DUMPSTER" though...  :4_12_2:   :4_1_72:

I didn't bring that up because it didn't look like an extremely original, rare piece that many real enthusiasts were clamoring to get their hands on and would kill to have on their nice vintage rare Sleek Craft Sportster. It looked more like a piece that had already been modified or was home made.
"Save the Endangered Tree Octopus! It's as real a threat to our planet as global warming!" http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/

Offline bigvincent

• South Jersey
  • VJB#1 Make: looking
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 11:03:12 AM »
Thanks guys! They are asking 1500, but seem negotiable. The only problem is I'm 4 hours from the boat which isn't a bad thing but wanted to be sure it wasn't going to be a waste of a trip. According to the owner the interior was just replaced 3 years ago but looking at the pictures and amount of leaves just on the seat I'm sure there is a lot of rot under the floor. Are you sure about the jet? I can't see where the bell bolts are which made me think it was the 12JF.

The hood...I love it! :biggrin:

Offline "THE ADVOCATE"

• Global Moderator
  • LANCHA ESTUPIDA
    • Salt Lake City
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 11:23:47 AM »

:4_1_72:
save the hood...   for hell sakes don't throw it in a dumpster.   some peeps on here don't take kindly to that. :biggrin: :biggrin:
You dont have to be from Jersey to cut things up and make them disappear if some of you guys are wondering.  :yesnod:  :nana:     Good luck  Vincent, these old boats are a blast!

Offline "THE ADVOCATE"

• Global Moderator
  • LANCHA ESTUPIDA
    • Salt Lake City
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 11:30:03 AM »
Here is a pic of my E pump. There are a couple guys on here lately restoring boats in sort of your area.

Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum
http://www.vintagejetboats.com