Author Topic: Headers  (Read 1087 times)

Offline "THE ADVOCATE"

• Global Moderator
  • LANCHA ESTUPIDA
    • Salt Lake City
  • VJB#1 Make: Sleek Craft
Headers
« on: January 20, 2012, 03:48:26 PM »
Hi yall, finally got an afternoon in the garage. Ok, I am working out the bugs on my new BBF TT headers. Underneath each water port on the primairies an 1/8" hole is drilled. They are not tapped and not even in the best spot for a drain. Are these supposed to be there or do I need to make some adjustments? Thanks Jason.

Offline wolfie

• NUTTZ
    • Draper, UT 35 minutes from Utah Lake
  • VJB#1 Make: Eliminator
  • VJB#2 Make: Sundance
  • Other Boat#1 Make: Naples Sabot
Re: Headers
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 03:53:47 PM »
They're weep hose so water from the injection setup does sit there in the bend and rust it out. At least that's my assumption.
"Save the Endangered Tree Octopus! It's as real a threat to our planet as global warming!" http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/

Offline "THE ADVOCATE"

• Global Moderator
  • LANCHA ESTUPIDA
    • Salt Lake City
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 04:10:27 PM »
They're weep hose so water from the injection setup does sit there in the bend and rust it out. At least that's my assumption.
Thats what I think too, do I need to tap the holes and put plugs in them or are they supposed to be open all the time? Seems silly not to have plugs but then I am still green as an alien and wouldnt know anyhow!
I'm not a slow learner, I'm just not easily convinced.

Offline wolfie

• NUTTZ
    • Draper, UT 35 minutes from Utah Lake
  • VJB#1 Make: Eliminator
  • VJB#2 Make: Sundance
  • Other Boat#1 Make: Naples Sabot
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 04:38:58 PM »
Thats what I think too, do I need to tap the holes and put plugs in them or are they supposed to be open all the time? Seems silly not to have plugs but then I am still green as an alien and wouldnt know anyhow!

Don't plug them, leave them alone...they'll drip a little into your bilge but most of the water will be blown out the exhaust.
"Save the Endangered Tree Octopus! It's as real a threat to our planet as global warming!" http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/

Offline 78_Tahiti

• Global Moderator
  • Jet boat exerciser
    • NorCal
  • VJB#1 Make: Tahiti
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 04:41:51 PM »
They are supposed to be there! leave them alone! Once you actually bolt these to your engine, I think you'll find the "weep" holes are at the lowest point in the exhaust thats near the head. 2 reasons for them, One, so you can see if your adding to much water to your exhaust, Two, after the engine has been running. The cooling system is full of water (to the T-Stat housing) so when you shut down the engine, the water is looking for someplace to go, usually it will drain back through the pump, but if your T-Valve check ball got a little debris in it and didn't close. You could slowly fill the header tubes until the level equalized. Which is enough water to enter an exhaust port, and pour in a cylinder if the exhaust valve was open. When you tried to start the engine "BAMM"  hydrolock! Any Questions?
If It Floats, F@cks, or Flies, Its Cheaper to RENT IT!

Offline "THE ADVOCATE"

• Global Moderator
  • LANCHA ESTUPIDA
    • Salt Lake City
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 04:47:34 PM »
Got it!
I'm not a slow learner, I'm just not easily convinced.

Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum
http://www.vintagejetboats.com