Author Topic: BBC Build Recommendations  (Read 3178 times)

Offline louhodg

• Raleigh, NC
  • VJB#1 Make: Caribbean Hardin Marine
Re: BBC Build Recommendations
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 01:18:01 PM »
Wolfie, I also did a lot of research and came very close to not pulling the trigger on ProComp's because of both the many horror stories and the fact that these are the machine part equivalent of a pirated CD.  But in the final analysis, the cost of rebuilding & upgrading my 049's was almost exactly as much as the ProComp's.  My research also led me to Skip White, who was very generous with his time on the phone.  He maintains he's sold quite a few of these and never had a return, but then went on to suggest strongly that my choice of a solid roller with the requisite strong valvesprings would shorten the lifespan of the top end in a hard running marine application.  Fair enough; CompCams also suggested a roller hydraulic, which I've ultimately chosen.  So I'm going into this with my eyes wide open, am working with Skip on the springs & valves and choosing Morel lifters.  As for the offshore origins of these heads, I try to buy American - I have three GM vehicles and a H-D - but buying ProComp's is the moral equivalent of going to Wal-Mart, and I can count the number of times I've done that on one hand.

Offline wolfie

• NUTTZ
    • Draper, UT 35 minutes from Utah Lake
  • VJB#1 Make: Eliminator
  • VJB#2 Make: Sundance
  • Other Boat#1 Make: Naples Sabot
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2012, 01:47:17 PM »
Let me know how it all works out! I'm very curious about them. The White family has a very good reputation for building strong engines for drag racing. Skip's brother is well known in the area.
"Save the Endangered Tree Octopus! It's as real a threat to our planet as global warming!" http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/

Offline 78_Tahiti

• Global Moderator
  • Jet boat exerciser
    • NorCal
  • VJB#1 Make: Tahiti
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
Let me know how it all works out! I'm very curious about them. The White family has a very good reputation for building strong engines for drag racing. Skip's brother is well known in the area.
As am I! Depending on the cam chosen (Im sure comp cams will have some input) Their Behive springs are a pretty kool setup. Its kind of like a progressive spring for you truck. Easier on Valves & Seats when the valve closes, yet enough spring tenion when open to not let the cam follwer bounce on the cam lobe.
If It Floats, F@cks, or Flies, Its Cheaper to RENT IT!

Offline louhodg

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 07:45:27 AM »
Brief update on the engine build; all parts in hand now except the roller rockers and lifters. Block has been hot tanked, bored .060" and is in queue for assembly at a local machine shop that's done consistently good work for me.  He's going to install the cam @ 4 degrees advanced per Comp's recommendation, using a Cloyes adjustable timing gear set.  I got a Cloyes timing cover with the removable access to facilitate any further cam work.  Received the ProComp heads yesterday, looked them over and am guardedly optimistic.  The castings look pretty good, ports fair, but the chambers want some cleaning up as do the bowls, which I'll do along with a port match.  Pray for steady hands....Hate to disassemble these heads, but can't work on them with the valves in there. 

Getting excited, but experience tells me that there'll be a few bumps in the road before she's buttoned up and installed.  The weatherman says it'll be close to 70F here this afternoon, so I'm going to try to sneak away from work and 'glass in a 2' x 2' replacement board in the floor that I've already cut and fitted.  Once that's done, I'll lay in new carpet and be ready for the engine when it's complete.  Hopefully I'll be ready for springtime! :drv:

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • Fair Oaks, CA
    • FaceBook
  • VJB#1 Make: Galaxie
  • VJB#2 Make: PMS (Pacific Marine Service)
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 08:30:04 AM »
Right on Lou!!! You oughta start a thread with some pics of the progress you're making...
Keep your Hot Boat wet @ VintageJetBoats.com | VintageJetBoat.com | VJBForum.com | VJB4um.com | VintageHotBoat.com

Offline 78_Tahiti

• Global Moderator
  • Jet boat exerciser
    • NorCal
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 08:51:17 AM »
Right on Lou!!! You oughta start a thread with some pics of the progress you're making...
List what you used in your build as well, it really helps people get a real world baseline to make decisions from! Sounds like its gonna be a great ride!

Offline wolfie

• NUTTZ
    • Draper, UT 35 minutes from Utah Lake
  • VJB#1 Make: Eliminator
  • VJB#2 Make: Sundance
  • Other Boat#1 Make: Naples Sabot
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 10:17:41 AM »
x2 on what Steve said. I'd like to know what you got!!! I'm really curious about the heads.
"Save the Endangered Tree Octopus! It's as real a threat to our planet as global warming!" http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/

Offline louhodg

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 03:24:40 PM »
All I'm really using from the original motor is the block, a Gen IV 454 2 bolt, the Edlebrock Performer RPM intake, which I'm polishing....badly, Holley 750 and Bassett over transom headers.  Replaced the original rotating assembly with a 496" kit from Skip White; Scat cast 9000 crank, Scat 6.385" rods and forged .060" over pistons w/18cc domes., harmonic balancer and flexplate.  An ARP main stud kit will hopefully hold all this in place. Cloyes adjustable timing gear set and timing cover w/thrust button.  After a lot of back and forth, I opted for a CompCams hydraulic roller, 242/248 @.050 with 612"/638" lift custom ground on a 112LSA.  The aforementioned ProComp heads are 300cc oval ports w/2.25"/1.88" valves which will be actuated by PRW 1.72 ratio aluminum roller rockers.  Just got those today.  Got a head stud kit, rocker studs, adjustable guideplates and pushrods from Skip as well.  Waiting on a set of Morel lifters. 

I've had fun researching the combination and I think it's a good overall fit.  If money were no object, I'd have gone w/a forged crank, 4 bolt mains, Dart heads and a Chris Straub custom cam, but I'm just a working man.  The only real weak link is the carb - it's somewhere between too small and way too small, but I rebuilt it in October and it was spot on for the 454.  I do see bigger jets in my future. 

As always, I'll appreciate any advice from those that have more experience with this than me, which is most of you....

Offline 78_Tahiti

• Global Moderator
  • Jet boat exerciser
    • NorCal
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 08:43:50 PM »
With that cam profile and the big intake valves, I agree with you advancing the cam 4*, that should improve your bottom end Torque a bit. Advancing Cam Timing moves the Torque curve for a little more robust bottom end, Advancing Cam Timing Takes from the lower RPM Range, and moves it up!

Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum
http://www.vintagejetboats.com