Author Topic: Velocity Stack Vs. Scoop  (Read 7193 times)

Offline TIMINATOR

• Avondale,AZ.
Re: Velocity Stack Vs. Scoop
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2011, 11:55:47 AM »
Just putting on the finishing touches to a Crower 2.9" stack injection that I was gonna put on my boat. EFI conversion (by us), its waaay cool, but I'm worrying about breaking the drive with the extra torque that I don't need, because halfway thru the project I decided to go BIG on the motor. Then I thought about putting it on the Nova, but don't want to remove the blower. Think I'll take it to the Long Beach swap meet and see if anybody has the cash. Then I'll buy my pal's 14-71 to replace the 8-71 thats on the Nova. BTW, the only way to make IR carbs run on anything is to use MASSIVE CFM, and lots of tuning time and brass parts(jets: main, air corrector, idle air and fuel, and emulsion tubes, etc). Been there, done that, thats why I was gonna do the Crower setup, but the new boat motor has a tall deck and I don't wanna mess with the adaptor plates either. I do have tall and std. deck blower manifolds though. Anyone know of a Street Tunnel Ram for sale? You know, the laydown type with the bolt on top for two carbs? Like the old Z-28 cross ram. I need one for a Big Block Chevy square port. I can EFI that and keep it under the engine cover. TIMINATOR

Offline 454 blue boat

« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2011, 01:18:04 PM »
Heres my TR with two Holley 650s.  :zwhistle:

that would be two 660s it dosent look to me that you have a different pair that I sent you with the T R

Offline 78_Tahiti

• Global Moderator
  • Jet boat exerciser
    • NorCal
  • VJB#1 Make: Tahiti
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2011, 06:07:50 PM »
Just putting on the finishing touches to a Crower 2.9" stack injection that I was gonna put on my boat. EFI conversion (by us), its waaay cool, but I'm worrying about breaking the drive with the extra torque that I don't need, because halfway thru the project I decided to go BIG on the motor.  BTW, the only way to make IR carbs run on anything is to use MASSIVE CFM, and lots of tuning time and brass parts(jets: main, air corrector, idle air and fuel, and emulsion tubes, etc). Been there, done that, thats why I was gonna do the Crower setup,
The IDA/IDF carbs are not bad at all to setup, providing you have the components to tune them, otherwise let some one who does do it for you! The biggest consideration with those carb setups is CAM!! They need a strong intake pulse to work, They love lift  :yesnod: & hate duration!  :eusasmiles: once setup correctly the throttle response is amazing.

Anyone know of a Street Tunnel Ram for sale? You know, the laydown type with the bolt on top for two carbs? Like the old Z-28 cross ram. I need one for a Big Block Chevy square port. I can EFI that and keep it under the engine cover. TIMINATOR
Only thing I've seen lately was a cross ramm for a 440, Mopar. I've always liked those under the hood 2x4 manifold setups! How Finiky are the Enderle BirdCatcher Injection setups for a Tunnel Ram? I realize your kind of limited on the cruise circuit, But for those of us that can't afford a blower just yet. Do you think its worthwhile & then later add the blower, and then re-pill the system.
If It Floats, F@cks, or Flies, Its Cheaper to RENT IT!

Offline TIMINATOR

• Avondale,AZ.
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2011, 07:40:20 AM »
Birdcatcher systems for the tunnelram load the rear cylinders with air, they're supposed to because they were designed for a blower. Thats because the blowers helix moves air to the front of the motor, they were designed to help that situation. Bug/Bird work well with blowers, not so much on a t-ram.  The Crower is bitchin now that its done, but it is small for the 600 inch motor that it would go on. Dyno Sim PRO shows about a 75-90 HP top end loss with that big of a motor, over the 1250 custom Holley thats on there now.  The extra 80 ft-lbs at 2500 rpm would probably help grenade the drive. I have to just walk into it as it is to keep from breaking it. The wife wanted to put the Crower on the Nova until she was informed that it would slow it down by about a second over the 8-71. Decisions,decisions, decisions.....   and still no-one has taken me up on flowing their scoop/flame arrester either. TIMINATOR
MODESTY IS A CRUTCH FOR INCOMPETENCE!

Offline Kona Kandi

• Lake Oroville, Ca.
  • VJB#1 Make: Kona
  • Other Boat#1 Make: Patio Cruiser
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2011, 10:06:57 AM »
Great info :cheers:
It doesn't really  matter whether you win or lose...
as long as you look good doing it.

Offline 78_Tahiti

• Global Moderator
  • Jet boat exerciser
    • NorCal
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2011, 11:04:58 AM »
I figured the atomization on a TR wouldnt be that great! I all ready have the tunnel ram and a pair of carbs for it. So I think I'll go with that for the time being. Thanks for the input!

Offline 454 blue boat

« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2011, 10:10:18 AM »
this is what im going to put on my motor if I ever get a great deal or run into money maybe try and rob a bank. If I had this set up when I go to tahoe in would run great.When I go there it runs like *$h!t* cant even pull a skier out of the water boat maybe dose 50 or so when it should do 70- 80

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130615299111&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Offline 78_Tahiti

• Global Moderator
  • Jet boat exerciser
    • NorCal
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2011, 11:39:19 AM »
A big part of the elevation thing Scott, is amount of air density available. There just isn't much air at that altitude! Ive always liked this setup.

Offline TIMINATOR

• Avondale,AZ.
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2011, 07:44:12 AM »
I am now on the map, and have done the avatar/location thing. OOPS!  TIMINATOR
MODESTY IS A CRUTCH FOR INCOMPETENCE!

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • Fair Oaks, CA
    • FaceBook
  • VJB#1 Make: Galaxie
  • VJB#2 Make: PMS (Pacific Marine Service)
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2011, 07:57:14 AM »
I am now on the map, and have done the avatar/location thing. OOPS!  TIMINATOR
:4_17_5:  Way to go Tim!!!  :)
Keep your Hot Boat wet @ VintageJetBoats.com | VintageJetBoat.com | VJBForum.com | VJB4um.com | VintageHotBoat.com

Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum
http://www.vintagejetboats.com