Author Topic: Velocity Stack Vs. Scoop  (Read 7195 times)

Offline Kona Kandi

• Lake Oroville, Ca.
  • VJB#1 Make: Kona
  • Other Boat#1 Make: Patio Cruiser
Re: Velocity Stack Vs. Scoop
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 02:32:55 PM »

I forgot what forum I read it on, but there was a story of a guy who took his boat out. Forgive me if I leave out anything or get it wrong but the jest of it all is humorous. The guy couldn't get it up to speed at all. Got mad, loaded it on the trailer and when he was buttoning everything up, found that one of the kids sand shovel had blown up and into the scoop blocking the airflow.
Another story was a guy who was firing the engine up for the first time. It wouldn't fire. Went through everything; was getting gas, spark, everything!! Gave it a shot of Kwickstart and it fired but out of the corner of his eye he saw something blow out the back of the boat. It was one of the rags that his buddy stuffed into the intake manifold before they put the carb on. I guess they forgot to take it out and when it did light off the ether, it sucked it into the cylinder and out the exhaust.
 :zz22_yikes:

Offline H20MOFO

• NUTTZ
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2011, 02:45:37 PM »
I remember the rag story...or at least A rag story like that. The guy ended up naming is boat "on the rag" :biggrin: Seriously....

Offline Guest

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 04:03:04 PM »
Cleanest innards on the water. :biggrin:

Offline wolfie

• NUTTZ
    • Draper, UT 35 minutes from Utah Lake
  • VJB#1 Make: Eliminator
  • VJB#2 Make: Sundance
  • Other Boat#1 Make: Naples Sabot
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 04:18:58 PM »
Cleanest innards on the water. :biggrin:

At least one cylinder!
"Save the Endangered Tree Octopus! It's as real a threat to our planet as global warming!" http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/

Offline 454 blue boat

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2011, 08:04:17 AM »
here what I use I like it because its tall enough to get the opening high enough to be away from the guys in the back seat.In my life of having boats it seems to me that no madder what scoop I used it didn't make a difference at all on performance unless it had a real small opening or and small air cleaner or small  sparkerester  . Just my 2 cents lol  And I do have two tall sparkeresters inside just because its facing forward and that make the sheriffs happy when if they check me.So far no one ever has

Offline Kona Kandi

• Lake Oroville, Ca.
  • VJB#1 Make: Kona
  • Other Boat#1 Make: Patio Cruiser
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2011, 09:45:38 AM »
Yeah, the spark arrestor is a definite must :)
It doesn't really  matter whether you win or lose...
as long as you look good doing it.

Offline TIMINATOR

• Avondale,AZ.
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2011, 09:46:56 PM »
David, you would be very depressed, it probably drops the flow by 70 cfm or so. If removing it doesn't speed up the boat, you either don't need the cfm, or the carb is too lean without it. Or your fuel pump doesn't put out enough fuel, or you don't have enough spark. Theres a lot more than raw airflow at work here. Almost all of the spark arrestors are too restrictive for their intended carbs. Also keep in mind that just because it fits an 850, doesn't mean it wasn't intended for use with a 600 carb. Dual scoops with spark arrestors are dismal unless you are using the big ones.   The small tapered ones don't flow what you think they do, but they do look good. Drill or punch 4 to 6  1" holes behind the carb inlet on the bottom, you can't see them and it helps the cfm greatly, especially the dual carb scoops.  TIMINATOR
MODESTY IS A CRUTCH FOR INCOMPETENCE!

Offline 78_Tahiti

• Global Moderator
  • Jet boat exerciser
    • NorCal
  • VJB#1 Make: Tahiti
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2011, 05:50:34 AM »
Just a little add on to this, many folks don't know that almost all K&N Air Filter Assemblies are U.S CG approved as a spark arrestor. The air flow they pass is much better then the plate or screen style you commonly see. While giving a couple kids a ride a couple years ago, my scoop/ flame arrestor, came loose and the performance could be felt in the seat of your pants! I switched to a K&N filter housing. I was quite suprised at the difference! I run a 750 cfm Mighty Demon on my 460.
If It Floats, F@cks, or Flies, Its Cheaper to RENT IT!

Offline carreradude

• Rancho Cordova
    • LBBA
  • VJB#1 Make: Carrera
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2011, 06:14:03 PM »
I run K&N filters in my scoop. If you look closely, you can see there is a scoop on my boat.  :yesnod:

Offline wolfie

• NUTTZ
    • Draper, UT 35 minutes from Utah Lake
  • VJB#1 Make: Eliminator
  • VJB#2 Make: Sundance
  • Other Boat#1 Make: Naples Sabot
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2011, 06:55:19 PM »
What boat???  :4_12_2:
"Save the Endangered Tree Octopus! It's as real a threat to our planet as global warming!" http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/

Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum
http://www.vintagejetboats.com