Author Topic: Velocity Stack Vs. Scoop  (Read 7192 times)

Offline Kona Kandi

• Lake Oroville, Ca.
  • VJB#1 Make: Kona
  • Other Boat#1 Make: Patio Cruiser
Velocity Stack Vs. Scoop
« on: September 23, 2011, 03:03:24 PM »
My 73' Kona proudly wears her original velocity stack. However, it is showing it's age. What are you guys running on your single carbs? Where is a good place to find a vintage scoop or stack?

Offline wolfie

• NUTTZ
    • Draper, UT 35 minutes from Utah Lake
  • VJB#1 Make: Eliminator
  • VJB#2 Make: Sundance
  • Other Boat#1 Make: Naples Sabot
Re: Velocity Stack Vs. Scoop
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 03:16:47 PM »
I just have a flame arrestor on mine. I'd like to get a nice scoop. My choice is more about looks than functionality. I guess it all depends on the dynamics of your engine. Some swear on V-stacks, some on scoops which brings up another debate; which way it should face. It all hinges on which flows best for your particular application. While mine would definitely benefit from a larger F-A/scoop/v-stack to allow more air, the differences between V-stack or scoop or larger F-A would be probably be negligible on my toad!!
I'm hoping that Steve will jump in on this!! He is a wealth of engine knowledge!!!
I will patiently await his input!!!!!  :biggrin:
"Save the Endangered Tree Octopus! It's as real a threat to our planet as global warming!" http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/

Offline Kona Kandi

• Lake Oroville, Ca.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 03:47:10 PM »
I agree, looks Vs. Performance here too.  I like to keep my vintage toys just that, vintage. Those scoops/stacks are hard to find. :41616-4:
It doesn't really  matter whether you win or lose...
as long as you look good doing it.

Offline wolfie

• NUTTZ
    • Draper, UT 35 minutes from Utah Lake
  • VJB#1 Make: Eliminator
  • VJB#2 Make: Sundance
  • Other Boat#1 Make: Naples Sabot
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 04:03:07 PM »
They're actually fairly plentiful. There are a number of places that sell most of what you need.
I use Jet Boat Performance myself. Tom contributes quite a bit of advice to all the different forums. He has some of the best prices that I've found as well. He and his crew have no problem helping you out. He's helped me out of a bind a number of times!
I'm sure others have people that they like as well. This is just my opinion!!
"Save the Endangered Tree Octopus! It's as real a threat to our planet as global warming!" http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/

Offline Kona Kandi

• Lake Oroville, Ca.
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 04:39:41 PM »
I hate to sound ignorant... But, what is this jet boat performance? Is it a website, store? :confused-smiley-013:

Offline Guest

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 05:38:20 PM »
I hate to sound ignorant... But, what is this jet boat performance? Is it a website, store? :confused-smiley-013:
Go down the forum column near the bottom you,ll see their thing, they sell jet boat parts.

Offline Kona Kandi

• Lake Oroville, Ca.
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 05:57:38 PM »
Thanks t8er :)

Offline 78_Tahiti

• Global Moderator
  • Jet boat exerciser
    • NorCal
  • VJB#1 Make: Tahiti
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 07:24:55 AM »
I like the retro style Jetboat scoops as well. I think finding a model that fits the era' is kool! The way your scoop faces is sometimes up to how the "LEO's" (law enforcement officers) interpet the law! USCG bylaws state "any craft with an open engine compartment, and the carb above the gunnels (sides of the boat) is not required to have a flame arrester! However saftey first! If you have an enclosed engine cover, then you must run a flame arrester! K&N Air Filters are USCG Approved Flame Arresters. That said, its a little noisier with a scoop facing forward, how ever a wave over the transomm can't ki;; the engine with water entering the scoop, like a rear facing one can!
If It Floats, F@cks, or Flies, Its Cheaper to RENT IT!

Offline Kona Kandi

• Lake Oroville, Ca.
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 05:22:30 PM »
I have decided to keep my original velocity stack, so I sent it out to be cleaned up.

Offline "THE ADVOCATE"

• Global Moderator
  • LANCHA ESTUPIDA
    • Salt Lake City
  • VJB#1 Make: Sleek Craft
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 08:42:45 PM »
I have decided to keep my original velocity stack, so I sent it out to be cleaned up.
You might want to change that quote. If not Sonny Bonos son will probably pay you TOP $ for it.  :yesnod:
I'm not a slow learner, I'm just not easily convinced.

Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum
http://www.vintagejetboats.com