Author Topic: Fly wheel suggestions?  (Read 1199 times)

Offline 78_Tahiti

• Global Moderator
  • Jet boat exerciser
    • NorCal
  • VJB#1 Make: Tahiti
Re: Fly wheel suggestions?
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 12:23:33 AM »
Most JetBoats have whats called a connector plate. Uusally mounted on the bell housing, that way to pull the engine you just unhook the boat side wiring. You can leave the engine wiring connected. They usually have a circuit breaker mounted underneath as well to protect the Dash & Ignition wiring. Just press to reset, and off you go. Fuses can be a pain sometimes. Heres how I did mine.
http://www.vintagejetboats.com/forum/index.php?topic=359.msg5009#msg5009

Offline Gill201035

• The columbia river gorge
  • VJB#1 Make: charger
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 08:07:21 PM »
Shes a matter of hours away from being back to life.... I bought a new block for the wiring with a reset witch as suggested and re wired it tonight i hope theyare all correct.... Also new flex plate sfi approved and double welded and double the thickness of the orignal........ Hopefully be on the water around ten in the morning woo hoo..... I gotta say you guys are awesome...... Thanks a ton for all the input..... Josh

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • Fair Oaks, CA
    • FaceBook
  • VJB#1 Make: Galaxie
  • VJB#2 Make: PMS (Pacific Marine Service)
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 08:14:50 PM »
Shes a matter of hours away from being back to life.... I bought a new block for the wiring with a reset witch as suggested and re wired it tonight i hope theyare all correct.... Also new flex plate sfi approved and double welded and double the thickness of the orignal........ Hopefully be on the water around ten in the morning woo hoo..... I gotta say you guys are awesome...... Thanks a ton for all the input..... Josh
Right on Josh... I have to agree with you on these guys being awesome here!!! I'm a bit biased though!!!   LOL    :cheers:
Keep your Hot Boat wet @ VintageJetBoats.com | VintageJetBoat.com | VJBForum.com | VJB4um.com | VintageHotBoat.com

Offline 78_Tahiti

• Global Moderator
  • Jet boat exerciser
    • NorCal
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 11:59:57 PM »
Nice to hear you'll be back in the water so quickly! Lets have a few pictures of that awesome machine in its native habitat!  :yesnod:
If It Floats, F@cks, or Flies, Its Cheaper to RENT IT!

Offline TIMINATOR

• Avondale,AZ.
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 01:17:07 AM »
Everybody discontinued the PROPER flywheel and ring gear for a reverse starter many years ago, also, there was NEVER the proper flexplate manufactured for reverse starter use. The HD flywheel ring gear was about .060 bigger in diameter. It was used in dump trucks and other heavy duty appllications. There is no way to shim the reverse deal closer to the flywheel/flexplate. Due to manufacturing tolerances, some boats have no issues, and some will forever chew up ring gears and bendixes. Our fix is to weld a small pad inside of the top of the starter hole to push the starter .030 to.060 closer, and then flycut the bottom of the hole and elongate the bolt holes. It works like a charm. If there is enough metal around the started hole we have occasionally drilled and tapped a hole for an adjustable bolt to push the starter closer to engagement, but if you do that you better make sure the starter bolts never come loose, or it will break the top of the bellhousing. Occasionally the Fords have the same problem, even in cars. We have done many dozen of these in Ford cars, and reverse mount boats.  TIMINATOR
MODESTY IS A CRUTCH FOR INCOMPETENCE!

Offline 78_Tahiti

• Global Moderator
  • Jet boat exerciser
    • NorCal
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 10:29:16 AM »
Thats a great way to take up the lash. Seems that another option might be swapping out the bendix gear, with one that has a little different pitch on the gear teeth. Similiar to the 4 different versions the GM V-8 starter line uses. Working at specialty automotive electrical shop as a young man. I was shown there are many different versions of the starter spur gears, as well as the locking and engagement dogs. I wonder in todays market, with all of the different gear reduction type units out there. Perhaps you could mill a different aluminum end plate for one, that instead of just being able to rotate the drive motor/solenoid relationship, you make make it so you could adjust the spur gears distance from the flywheel/flexplate instead. Just kind of thinking out loud.   :zwhistle:

Offline H20MOFO

• NUTTZ
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 12:48:11 PM »
Maybe I missed it when I read...but did the op ever check the starter engagement? As mentioned they are relatively easy to shim back and forth....but not up and down. My top mount starter was 2 tight(up and down) Would start half the time...grind half the time. I tried shimming the top hole to point the starter up kinda like adjusting a headlight...although it gained me a little clearance toward the tip of the pinion of the starter...it did zero for shimming the tail end. IMO the best way to deal with "up and down" shimming is by installing a set of offset dowels in the back of the motor/bellhousing. If I remember right they were made by moroso. Good luck.

Offline 78_Tahiti

• Global Moderator
  • Jet boat exerciser
    • NorCal
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 05:43:14 PM »
The offset dowel  is a great idea Kreg! not very expensive or experimental either! prolly wouldn't take more then about .030 -.040" to fix a binding starter gear, or in the down postion to tighten up the gap! the mounting bolts would never know the difference with that small of a change in height either way!

Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum
http://www.vintagejetboats.com