Author Topic: My passenger seat is wasted .....  (Read 833 times)

Offline ChiefRocka

• Falas Portugues ?
    • Hollister, Ca
  • VJB#1 Make: Miller
My passenger seat is wasted .....
« on: September 08, 2011, 08:43:27 PM »

It seems like a lot of passenger seats (well mine and my buddys) get worn. I guess due to the fact that I got the wheel to hang too...and I haven't been willing to drill holes in the dash yet.

My entire interior is starting to crack....but it still looks ok, and there are no major tears.

The plywood is just shot....

Has anyone ever pulled the staples, lifted off the upholestery and replaced the ply , then replace the upholestry ??

My buddy did it, but he wasnt to precise on the cuts...but hes a hacker anyway ....  :biggrin:

I wanna run my interior for a couple more seasons ..... Even though my sub floor is wasted too .... :lol:

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • Fair Oaks, CA
    • FaceBook
  • VJB#1 Make: Galaxie
  • VJB#2 Make: PMS (Pacific Marine Service)
Re: My passenger seat is wasted .....
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 09:17:07 PM »
I've seen it done (putting the old vinyl over new wood) and it has come out real nice...
As long as you have enough left to template with...
Keep your Hot Boat wet @ VintageJetBoats.com | VintageJetBoat.com | VJBForum.com | VJB4um.com | VintageHotBoat.com

Offline 454 blue boat

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 10:52:18 PM »
hi there and yes you can for sure.Remove the staples carefully to not tear it up . And once the wood is bare start taking each peace apart carefully.Then trace onto your new plywood and copy it all and screw it together.I even go as far as fiberglassing all seams and resin  the wood so it last alot longer but you get the point

Offline ChiefRocka

• Falas Portugues ?
    • Hollister, Ca
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 06:40:46 AM »
hi there and yes you can for sure.Remove the staples carefully to not tear it up . And once the wood is bare start taking each peace apart carefully.Then trace onto your new plywood and copy it all and screw it together.I even go as far as fiberglassing all seams and resin  the wood so it last alot longer but you get the point

Thanks guys .... Ya that was my plan....Guess I would have to make a lot of very shallow relief cuts in the ply to get it to form the radius of the bucket seat back ?? 

I hear you on the resin/glass !!

1976 Miller, BBF 460, COMP CAM, Victor, 850, MSD, logs, Berkley 12JC-1 .... Family digs it !!!

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • Fair Oaks, CA
    • FaceBook
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 07:25:02 AM »
If that's the way the existing set up is I would do it that way.
My seat bases are square and the foam makes the seats rounded off.
Keep your Hot Boat wet @ VintageJetBoats.com | VintageJetBoat.com | VJBForum.com | VJB4um.com | VintageHotBoat.com

Offline ChiefRocka

• Falas Portugues ?
    • Hollister, Ca
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 09:45:43 AM »

My basess are fine...... its the back rest thats wasted ....

1976 Miller, BBF 460, COMP CAM, Victor, 850, MSD, logs, Berkley 12JC-1 .... Family digs it !!!

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • Fair Oaks, CA
    • FaceBook
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 03:24:59 PM »

My basess are fine...... its the back rest thats wasted ....
I would still re-do the whole thing...  Sounds like you've got good forms to make your new ones one...

Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum - Click here to be redirected to the NEW Forum
http://www.vintagejetboats.com